The Power in Conversation

Photo credit: Christina@wocintechchat.com
Our world right now is fill with so much tension-- to say it is overwhelming is an understatement. Those of us who watched what happened to George Floyd were filled with many different feelings. Some people knowing how to express those  feelings, while many others do not. I come from a background where it was taught to me the importance of talking about what going on, whether wrong or right, letting it out and not keeping it in.

I believe that so much confusion, pain and anger in this world would be on the road to healing with the start of conversations. I understand that some of you may think, easier said then done-- how do I even start conversation, let alone engage in it. So I have complied a list of tips of how to initiate, engage and end meaningful difficult conversations.


  1. Always start off by expressing empathy. Ask how are you doing? How is your family doing? What are you doing to stay busy or the help the situation?
  2. Ask question but watch your language. The actual words you say have meaning and they matter. Make sure you say them in a way that is none critical, emotional, judgmental or offensive. Ex. I'm confused on the situation why would this happen? What would cause it to happen? 
  3. Manage your emotions, but express them (they matter). This tip may seem confusing but it means to state how your feel without tearing another party or person down. --- If you know you are having this conversation before hand maybe practice what to say.
  4. Allow for questions. This is important because this is what will lead to answers and most importantly a common ground. 
This morning I had several conversations with people I love and the things said were groundbreaking. One of my best friends said it was a start and I agree talking about it is a start but nothing can be finished without a beginning.

My mom says many of these issue are issue of the heart, and no law can change the way someone feels in the heart. The only way change happens is when you take the time to consider another persons point of view, stepping into their shoes or I should say climbing into their skin. This is the power of conversations. 

Comments

Popular Posts