Teacher Appreciation Week 2021


We Love our Teachers!

Teacher Appreciation Week is celebrated during the first full week of May each year. In 2021, it's May 3-7.

The National Education Association is continuing to celebrate the educators who serve students and their communities.

We would like to highlight Teacher Liz Vega, Educator & Artist.

Questionnaire

~When did you start teaching?--What grade do you teach, and what do you do to prepare for class?

I started teaching in 2009.

~Can you tell us a day in the life of a teacher (pre-COVID) & also the current day (COVID)?

Pre-Covid- my days were always quite unpredictable. I had to plan and be flexible all at the same time because sometimes students came in with serious emotional needs that often required a change in the plan. It is a tough job but it is rewarding when students start to grow and feel more confident in their ability to be better students.  

~What is your favorite subject to teach?

I love teaching English and art.  I love working with poetry, creative writing, and analyzing novels because sometimes we can connect with the characters and their experiences.  

~Who was the teacher that made a difference in your life?

My fourth-grade teacher, Mrs. Porter, really made a difference in my life. She was an amazing teacher who truly loved and cared for her students. She had us sing gospel songs and encouraged all her students to tap into their creativity.  Because of her, I gained of love of writing and reading. 

~Did that teacher motivate you to become a teacher?

I believe so. Mr. Porter taught how important it is to provide a positive learning environment for students. 

~What is your favorite thing to do on your day off?

On my days off I love to spend time with family and friends. I also love to paint, go on a hike, and simply spend some time study the Word of God. 

~What is your favorite Bible verse?

My favorite verse of Jeremiah 29:11-14.  This verse reminds me of the importance of turning to God and trusting in His goodness and love. 

~Three words to describe yourself.

Creative, caring, and organized.

~When you were a little girl, What did you want to be when you grew up?

I wanted to be a veterinarian and own a farm.

~What do you listen to while your drive to work and home?

I love to listen to worship and sermons to prepare my mind and heart for the day.

~Who is your role model?

My parents.

~What is the most memorable teacher gift a student has given you?

A student made a Mexican doll for me out of tissue because he knew that I love Mexican ceramic dolls.

~What advice would you give to your younger self about life and faith?

I would tell my younger self that God is faithful and loves me unconditionally. I would tell my younger self to draw close to Jesus to truly understand God's heart. 

~Which museum(s) do you enjoy?

I like visiting the Natural History Museum in Los Angeles because it reminds me of my childhood. My parents used to take me there as a kid. 

~What is your favorite snack to eat at school?

I love eating Hot Cheetos.

~Any positive, heartwarming stories about students helping students?

It was truly heartwarming when one of my students reached out and guided a student with a severe disability paint. My student who was usually a bit more animated and extra squirmy was so patient and seemed to take on a different role that day. He became the teacher and displayed a great amount of patience and care for another person. 

~People are saying teachers are superheroes-what is your take on that statement?

I don't think I'm a superhero, but I do believe teaching is a calling. Like anything that matters, teaching requires sacrifice and servanthood. 

~After a hard day of work, how do you unwind?

I like to take a walk or enjoy a nice meal with loved ones. 

~What is your take on distance learning?

Distance learning is difficult but it definitely pushed my students and I to work together and learn how to use new tools of communication and learning. 

~Right now, Do you think in-person learning is a good idea or not, or hybrid learning?

I prefer hybrid learning because it allows students to ask questions and get some one-on-one attention when they need it. 

~How has teaching kids on zoom been for you? What are the positive things you found out about teaching kids through zoom?

Teaching on zoom stretched me and forced me to learn new programs that would help students access the material. 

~What is the best way to talk to kids about mental health?

I think it is important to talk to students openly about mental health. I openly discuss different coping strategies and ways students can adopt new tools. 

My school has a great team of mental health professionals who reach out to students and help them work through their struggles. 

~What is your favorite book? 

Besides the Bible, my favorite book is The Alchemist.

~How has your faith helped you to communicate better with the children?

My faith has helped me grow as a teacher. As I study the life of Jesus and see how He approached people with grace, love, boundaries, and truth, that has helped me better understand how to address students in a caring way, especially when it requires me to have difficult conversations with students. 

~How would you describe your teaching style?

My teaching style is direct, and I try to create ladders for students so that they can reach academic success. 

~Also, you're an artist--how do you incorporate art into your teaching, and how can art be used as a therapy to heal people? 

I incorporate art into my lessons every week because I believe art is healing. I believe painting teaches so many important life lessons, like learning how to see a project from beginning to end. I also believe that painting helps students see that art is much like life in the sense that there might be some mistakes that are made during the painting process, but somehow those mistakes can be used to enhance the art piece.  


Elizabeth Vega is a high school teacher at Woodruff Academy. She attends Calvary Chapel in South Los Angeles and helps with the children's ministry. She was born and raised in the city of Hawaiian Gardens and has lived in the city of Norwalk for the past 10 years and enjoys spending her time painting, writing, and reading. 

Sara🌻
Blogger/Writer, Fashioned Magazine

Are you on social media? WE ARE, TOO!
Instagram: @fashionedmag  |   FB: @Fashioned Magazine  | Twitter: @FashionedMag
For more fashion and fun, visit us at fashionedmagazine.com

Got teens? Check out Teen Fashioned Magazine at teenfashioned.com

Are you ready for something new? CLICK HERE to subscribe to our Editor-in-Chief's new talk show, A New Thing LIVE! 

Into podcasts? CLICK HERE to follow us on FASHIONED RADIO. 

Comments

Popular Posts